CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Gonna Eat Me a lot of Peaches

So I became quite the homemaker over the past week. Last Saturday, I went with two friends to go pick peaches from a farm that's a couple of towns over. I was kind of excited about it because I've never picked peaches before, and I decided that I may even try canning some because Wes loves peaches and how great to have fresh peaches this winter. So we went to the farm and this is what I came back with...


But out of this box, this is what I actually picked from the trees...



Yeah, I only picked about 8 peaches because all the peaches were already off the trees. I guess we were late in the season or something. So we decided that instead of spending our whole Saturday at the farm trying to find 1/2 bushel for each of us, we would just purchase the peaches that the farm had already picked. It was worth the extra $2 for the saved time and sanity. Most of the peaches weren't totally soft enough to do anything with, which was actually good because I didn't have time to can them until Tuesday. So while they sat in the box for a couple of days, I took the peaches ready for slicing and made my first peach pie. Wes made the crust for me while I sliced and got the good stuff ready. And here's the final product...


You'll have to ask Wes how it really tasted, but I think it turned out pretty good. Not bad for my first pie attempt, especially when I had to use a 9" round cake pan because I didn't have a pie dish. That's on the list of things to get now.

So Tuesday came along, and I really needed to can the rest of the peaches before they decided to go bad. So I came home from work and after dinner and a few other things, I got to work. Canning is quite the process. The most time consuming part is slicing all the peaches. It took me over an hour. But Wes was so cute. He was studying for a test, but he kept coming out seeing if I needed help. He ended up helping me at the end make the syrup and fill the jars. We made 8 jars of canned peaches and they worked. I was so happy that it all turned out okay. Not bad for my first time of canning. My grandma Ida would be so proud of me.


So now I am an experienced canner. Well not really, I just had a good recipe and directions to follow. So here's to peaches... "Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free."

2 comments:

W. Flint said...

Kelley's pie was awesome! We finished it off last night. When we made the crust we ran out of enough dough to cover the top of the pie. Kel suggested that we use a cookie cutter to make fruit shapes on top of it. It was really a good looking pie before we carved it all up except that it was in a cake tin! I think that she is going to have to make another... These peaches weren't free. Kelley worked her butt off to get them and process them... ...and then I cleaned the kitchen. Oh yeah, not free, but VERY good!

Anonymous said...

Just one comment about pies. My mother, w/b Grandma Flint to you guys, would always sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the pie, assuming it was a pie with crust on top. It is sooooo good. I've tried to get Jeanne (Mom) to do it, and she has on occasion if I remind her, but it's a great way to make a pie delicious. Ummm, she made a peach pie last night, two actually. She gave one to Chris to take down to BYU and he called back at 9:30 to rave about how good the pie was and how he was trying to conceal it so that his room mates would not devour it before breakfast today, Hahahahahahahaha!