CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, January 9, 2009

Back on the island...


I was able to finish Island #2 today. Islands aren't as much fun as the island that we all think of. For us it amounts to class for a week that goes from 8 am to 5 pm. Sometimes we are lucky and get an afternoon or a morning with some hands on activities, but they usually involve needles. We learned about treating diabetes during this island block. On one of the skills stations we tried sticking ourselves with insulin needles and puncturing our fingers to check our blood sugar. Fortunately my blood sugar was normal, but it makes you have a bit more compassion for those that have to do that several times a day. Sticking your finger hurts way more than performing an injection. The injection didn't hurt at all. This was all a bit weird for someone that doesn't like needles.

Charlie is doing great this week. I was able to skip class one morning to go with Kelley to the doctor's office. Charlie is a perfect size and Kelley is right at where she should be. It still amazes me that he can move around like he does in her. This week he tried to push his foot out of her belly. Kelley and I laughed hysterically.

This weekend we are going to go and pick up a chair for the nursery and a mattress for the crib. Things are coming along and we are getting more and more excited everyday.

2 comments:

Maria said...

I am glad things are going well and moving along!!

Anonymous said...

Good job on cruising through your island! :) I keep telling Shaille that at all costs, that is one disease I really hope to avoid - diabetes. When I was at the Salt Lake VA over the summer I saw so many retinal and visual complications (leading to blindness) and podiatry was right across the hall. That reinforced my years of learning that it is not fun to deal with and as you mentioned, it gives us more compassion for those that do deal with it.

Anyway, congrats on Charlie doing so well!!! Wahoo!!!!! We're excited for you guys!

Casey