Wes and I had a good weekend. It was extremely busy and tiring, but it was a lot of fun. I participated with a youth activity for our stake. Each ward had 26 hours to prepare a dance program, and then it was performed in front of the stake. So on Friday evening at 5 PM, we started. I was one of 4 dance teachers, and we had two dances to teach them. There were 9 girls and 9 boys who participated, which was the perfect number for our partner dance. Our theme was the 80s, and our group dance was to Whitney Houston's "I Wanna Dance with Somebody," while the line dance went to "Footloose." Friday night was looking a little bleak. We had to change the first 8 counts of the girls part twice because it started out too complicated for them. Mind you, the youth have little to no dance training. But they worked hard until 9 PM and all were ready to return to the church at 8 AM the next morning. Yes,

it was an early Saturday morning, but while I went off to teach the kids, Wes went with a friend to go shooting. He had a great time shooting clay pigeons and was able to rid of some steel shells he's not fond of, but with the bruise he came home with, I'm really glad I wasn't there. My whole arm would have been black and blue. On Saturday, I worked with the kids until 4 PM. They were great and never complained no matter how many times we made them run through a sequence or the dance. I was so impressed with our youth. They worked so hard and were so excited about performing that night. During this time, other people in our ward were making the scenery (which Wes had to hold during the performance and wasn't too happy about) and the costumes. They did such a great job to make it seem like we had stepped back into the 80s. The girls wore big, fluffy hair with pink scrunchies, big pink earrings, rolled stacked socks, big pink collars, etc. The boys work skinny pink ties with white shirts or polos with the collars up and jeans with pegged legs. They looked the part and loved how crazy it was. That night, the stake met at a school out in Me

chanicsburg, and each of the 9 wards performed. It was so fun to see what each ward did and how well the youth learned their dances. Some of them were really good for only having 26 hours to prepare. The girls put on lots of bright makeup, and some of the boys even more blush and lipstick. When it was their time to perform, they forgot a bunch of the dance, but they had a lot of fun. We were proud of them for giving it their all, and some even wanted to do the whole process again next week. By the time Wes and I got home on Saturday night, I was exhausted after dancing with them for so many hours. My muscles were tired and sore, but I had a lot of fun teaching them, and I came out of it with a great respect for the youth of our ward. Now I hear that I might be put in charge of next year's activity. We shall see about that, but it might be fun to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment