CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Sometimes you gotta hate cars...


So my family all knows how my back bumper somehow got cracked, but Wes was smart enough to tape it from behind with duct tape to keep it from hanging and so it looked somewhat normal until we can get it fixed. I was very happy that he did that because it doesn't look too bad. So on Tuesday, I got home from work, and not 20 minutes later, Wes and I are leaving to go over to the gym and my car won't start. I was just in it 20 minutes before and it was working just fine! I was so bummed. Wes still made me go to the gym even though I just wanted to figure out what happened in case we needed to get it towed or something. I think he was hoping to get my mind off it for a minute, but it only sort of worked. So when we got back, Wes shooed me inside to make dinner and he tried to figure out what it was. After checking all the spark plugs and whatever he could, he finally called TJ, a friend from school and the ward. TJ was kind enough to come over and take a look. He figured it was a dead battery, so he gave us a jump and it started. I was so happy that I gave him half the pan of brownies I had made the evening before. So after figuring that the battery was truly dead and didn't just need to be recharged, we ran to get a new one before all the stores closed and Wes installed the new battery in the dark. It made me all sorts of nervous with him unscrewing things here and there, but he did a fantastic job and my car started up without a bit of hesitation. Two years ago, I would have called a tow company and had it taken to a mechanic because I don't know a thing about cars and neither did any of my friends or roommates, but my dear husband saved the day for me. It makes me so happy to know that I have a husband who can take care of the cars and I don't have to worry about it. I know it could have been much worse than it was. At least I was home and not stranded somewhere like I have been before. (Oh, how I remember being stranded at the Shopko and at FastSigns in Provo and not being able to get a hold of Chris right away.) Now, we're hoping we don't have any problems with our cars and that they continue to keep working as they should.

3 comments:

W. Flint said...

Nervous? Oh Babe, no worries! I will admit, I was a little worried about it too, but I am glad that we were able to get some help and that Freak-mart (Walmart) was still open! I am also glad that the little tool kit that my parents gave me years ago had some tools that would get the job done. Next time it may require a really big set, ya know, like the one that Judd picked up for his anniversary present... Craftsman, 800 pieces. Maybe in a million years!--Thanks Kel!

Anonymous said...

Most Excellent!
I'm glad that you were able to get the battery replaced. If you ever start having trouble with starting, check the battery. If it's about 5 years old (or up to warranty) just replace it first as it is usually the problem. Most folks don't understand that the heat takes a toll on batteries, much more than the cold, and so they fail in the summer much more than in the winter. In the winter, the car may be more difficult to start and so the battery gets drained trying to turn the engine over, but in the summer the battery can lose charge just sitting there in the heat. The back bumper looks OK and I'm sorry that you broke it. It's going to be fairly expensive to repair. You're probably finding out that a new bumper will be more than $300 for the part alone and then it has to be painted and installed. We just patched up Chris's front bumper that was damage from a large chunk of ice last winter. The bumper material is a kind of plastic but I've found that you can get fiberglass to stick to it pretty well if you really rough it up first. Based on the pic, you didn't even have to remove it to install the duct tape so you can apply a fiberglass patch the same way. You'll need fiber glass patch kit for this repair or you can purchase a pint can of fiberglass resin and hardner for about $6 and some fiberglass fabric for about the same. The local Checker, Pep Boys, or whatever usually has it. Personally, I like to find an autobody paint supply as they have everything you'll need and can match the paint. Rough it up with the knarly grit sand paper (60 or 80 grit) then mix the resin in a disposable container (the frosting containers work great). Lay out a piece of cardboard and pour some of the resin on the cardboard. Lay a piece of fiberglass cloth in the puddle. I've found that approx. 3 inch by 10 inch strips are best to work with. Make sure the cloth is saturated with resin and then apply to the inside of the bumper. You'll probably want to tape the bumper from the outside while you're repairing from the inside. Apply 4 or five strips until the crack is supported. If you added enough hardener, it will start to solidify in just a couple of minutes so don't dilly-dally.
Please wear latex gloves for this mess because it will not come off your fingers until your skin sheds that top layer. Use all disposable tools for working with this fiberglass. Apply another layer the following day and perhaps even a third layer. You will be able to tell when it's stronger than the original bumper. Now that the crack is mended, purchase some bondo with hardener and a couple of plastic application blades (like a perfataping blade without a handle). They are usually yellow and will be right next to the bondo in the store, and come in a pack of three usually. Use your sand paper and sand the outside crack hwere the Bondo will touch. Mix the bondo with hardener and apply with the yellow blade. It will harden up in 5 minutes or so and you can start sanding. Use 100 grit initially and finish with 400 grit. The first application will probably have some imperfections so you'll probably have to apply some more. These two applications can all be done in the same evening. Sand with 400 grit before spraying with grey primer. Tape off along the seam in the bumper and down the back side so you don't get overspray on anything. Also cover the rear wheel with a sheet or you'll be really unhappy. At the autobody supply store, they can mix you up some paint to match the factory paint. It should cost about $15 for one can of spray paint mixed to match. I'd probably just tape and paint that small area rather than trying to paint the whole bumper. You'll have a transition section where the new paint over lays the original paint but this is probably our best solution in this case. It really doesn't look too bad in the pic. Perhaps you want to just leave the outside the way it is and only patch from the inside???? Up to you but you should be able to purchase all the materials and do the repair for about $50. If you take it to a shop, they'll replace the entire bumper and you'll probably be looking at $700 for the repair. If the insurance covers it, you've probably got a $500 deductible and a claim on record. Let me know how it goes.

Love you guys,
Dad

W. Flint said...

Wow. I think that you are going to have to come out and show us how to do it!!!