CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 23, 2007

Palmyra Trip


Kelley and I skipped work on Friday and went up to Palmyra, New York to see the Mormon Miracle Pageant. It was quite a drive to get there. The highway that we were on kept dumping us off in small towns, so we had to traverse rows of stoplights before we could get back on the highway. One such place was Shamokin Dam, PA. How would you like to be from Shamokin? Anyway, Northern PA was absolutely beautiful. We took a few pictures of the "mountains" on the way up. It was really quite picturesque. On our way up through NY, we drove along Lake Seneca, one of the Finger Lakes. It was like something out of Europe. There were grape vineyards on either side of the lake. The lake was this dark blue and there were sailboats out on the lake. It was really pretty. The weather was perfect. It was dry and cool and the sky was dark blue studded with puffy white clouds. Our bed and breakfast was just outside this small town. The house had been an inn that was build in the late 18th century. The couple that owned it did what they could to make it as authentic as possible. We then ditched our stuff and headed up to the Hill Cumorah to claim our seats for the pageant. We were really early, so we toured the hill and the visitor's center and had dinner before we headed down to our seats. While waiting for the performance, we ran into an old friend of mine from middle school. I just knew that we were going to run into somebody that weekend. The pageant was fantastic! It was professionally done and the effects were surprisingly impressive. They had fire, water, wind, lightning, arrows, Jesus flying, etc. It was pretty cool. Following the pageant we were able to escape rather quickly and we were able to avoid the protesters on the way out. The next morning, we had fresh cantaloupe, pecan twist, and an omelet for breakfast. Once breakfast was finished we visited the Smith homes. The tours were really backed up and we had to wait for quite a while to get a guide. After seeing the homes, we went to the Sacred Grove and took some time to sit and relax. We then visited the temple and then the Grandin press. We headed out of Palmyra about 2 or so. We stopped in Watkins Glen, NY to see this gorge that we noticed on the way up. We didn't realize that it was a hike until we paid our way and received the complimentary trail map. Oops! Anyway, it was a good opportunity to stretch our legs and see a few waterfalls and a beautiful gorge. On the drive back we also stopped in Corning, NY and picked up a pizza for dinner since we were about starved to death. Anyway, we had a great time over the weekend! I hope you enjoy the pictures!!! Click here for pictures of the weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's neat that you got to go to Paymyra. It reminded me of the trip that our family took to Palmyra. I liked it much more than I thought I would. It is interesting to see where all those fantastic events took place. It's absolutely beautiful there but I still can't visualize what those folks used to do all winter, hunkered down around the fireplace, trying to keep warm, in a small cabin or house. How did they keep from going insane? The winters are long and cold up there, Yikes. I'm grateful for air conditioning, cars, central heat, large houses with play rooms, TV's, computers, etc. oh yea, and books if you ever get that bored, Hahahahahahaha! That's too bad that they have protestors at the Palmyra pageant as well. "Get a life" for Pete's sake. Won't it be cool when they open up that cave where the old records are stored, with Laban's sword, the Urim and Thumim, Lehi's director ball (0f curious workmanship) and all those records? It's gonna be fun to hear all the history, course, we'll probably just wait until it comes out on video and catch it at the dollar movie, Hahahahahahaha. Hey, maybe we could see it on the big IMAX and then stop by Matilda's for some Pavolva (Mom has a coupon) Hahahahahahahahaha!

Scooby is back in fourth grade starting Yesterday and she loves it. She was soooo excited to start school this year (that's a blessing). She is getting so big and so cute. She and her bud Kate had a bunch of new clothes and were putting on a fashion show for me last night. It was hilarious. I haven't driven the new Tundra to work yet but I plan on driving it to work tomorrow. We have a special offsite planned where we'll go to lunch and then head over to Lee Kay gun club to shoot skeet, Shhhhhhhh! Anyway, they want to ride in the new Tundra so I'm gonna see how it likes the parking lot at work. I don't think it's gonna like it, do you?
I love you guys. I hope you have another crash bang good time this weekend.
Dad