
I am the guy in the middle, acting like I am doing something helpful! The joys of being a medical student in the OR. Nah, we had a lot of fun and I was able to help out quite a bit. Here we are finishing a tibial osteotomy, where we cut the bent, diseased tibia and use that funny looking erector set thing (aka external fixator) to support the two bone ends to allow proper healing. I worked with a team that consisted of many Hershey Medical Center alums this past week with a few other friends of theirs from Scott and White and Phoenix Children's. We were able to fix several kids as we spent five full days running two ORs. One mother showed her appreciation at the morning devotional where she had everyone in the congregation misty. She also had a ton of really good food from her family's restaurant brought in. It has been a humbling experience to work among such good, yet very poor people. It has been difficult not knowing Spanish, but grunts, nudges, and gestures go a long way. The kids are adorable! I will be here another two weeks. On October 31 I was able to go with the employees of the hospital to the Caribbean Coast. I wish that I had my download cable to show you those pictures! It was beautiful and the water was very warm.
1 comment:
What a fun experience!
Post a Comment