"I'll tell you how to vote. You read the 134th section of the Doctrine and Covenants and the 29th chapter of Mosiah, and then pray about it and you'll know exactly whom you should vote for at the election. That's how you vote." (address to Seminary & Institute Personnel, BYU, July 8, 1966.)
Tuesday, November 2, 2010
We voted...Did you?
I've been looking forward to this day for a good six months. Then the awful attack commercials can end. It's sad that the candidates' ads are so nasty fighting their opponents. But at least they can end for another 18 months when they'll most likely start up again. Today is also a day of anticipation and nerves because this is an important election, and I'm not quite sure how it's all going to turn out. Two years ago, I think we all knew what the outcome was going to be, whether it was something we wanted or not. But this year is a different story and there are several races around the country that could go to either party. I wanted to make sure I voted for who I really thought was the best candidate who represented my values, beliefs, and who would best uphold the constitution as it is written. Of course, no candidate is perfect, and sometimes it comes down to "the lesser of two evils." I didn't want to vote just for the party that I normally associate with if I didn't like a candidate because I don't think that's the way to go. I finally came to my decision after following the advice of an LDS prophet. Harold B. Lee stated this over 40 years ago, but I think it still is important counsel.
So we voted, and I feel good about it. And getting a yummy Missy's Ugly Cookies cupcake made it that much sweeter. Now let's see what the other PA voters thought and how the elections across the country will pan out. It may be a long night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment